Follow My Blog
Spark your creativity by playing chess! At Countrice Education, chess pieces are brought to life by using creative and animated personalities in the teaching of the game that enables students to learn the game in a fun and exciting way. A key strength of our program is its diversity as we welcome children of all ages from beginners at the most basic level right through to CFC-rated players.
Every class, we have an experienced coach who teaches our students who range from beginner to advanced players. The first half of class consists of a chess lesson and
the second half of the class allows for students to apply what was learned from the lesson into an actual game; sometimes, students self-assign their opponents, at other times, the teacher will assign them with a suitable opponent!
Every Tuesday night, we hold CFC- (The Chess Federation of Canada) rated tournaments in which players are taught proper use of the clock during a game, how to write notation, how to play in a serious environment, and are prepared for provincial/national level competitions.
Did you know? There are many benefits to playing chess that go beyond the chess board, here are 10:
1. It teaches time management. In tournaments where chess games are timed, players must learn to plan and execute their moves while adapting to a specific time frame.
2. Over time, players will learn how to remain calm and continue playing under stress and/or uncertainty. Thinking two or three moves ahead and remaining composed under pressure allows players to have more control over unforeseen circumstances within the game and the confidence to persevere through.
3. It exercises the brain! Improved critical thinking, spatial-reasoning ability, attention span, visual memory, and ability to engage in higher order analysis are but a few benefits of playing chess!
4. It teaches players how to strategize and stay focused. Thinking ahead and learning how to predict and plan for future possibilities is an essential chess and life skill. Paying careful attention to every piece and move during a chess game is of extreme importance, allowing for players to develop stronger concentration skills.
5. It increases problem-solving skills. Chess challenges its players to think ahead, consider consequences, and how to face and overcome obstacles within the game. In addition, being able to overcome those obstacles can boost one’s self-confidence!
6. It sparks creativity and originality! The game of chess pushes its players to think outside of the box to come up with original solutions and allows them to freely visualize a wide range of different possible outcomes!
7. Chess teaches the importance of being accepting of both victory and loss. Remaining humble and playing the game with a fair mind is important to the development of one’s moral character. Equally as important, learning from one’s mistakes and not being discouraged by failure is essential for growing as a chess player and as an individual.
8. Chess is universal and accepts every one with welcoming arms! Playing chess can bring people together no matter your background. Furthermore, it can improve one’s interpersonal skills and build a community where much can be learned!
9. It teaches independence. Planning and making one’s own decisions in a game of chess and learning from the consequences of one’s actions teaches players how to rely on their own thinking. Such independence is vital for a successful chess player but also as an individual!
10. Last but not least, chess can be a very fun and enjoyable game to play!